Monday, September 1, 2014

Entry #30: Intermediate

Entrant Category: Intermediate

Please don't vote until all of the entries are available and 
we have announced the voting start on The Doll Wardrobe Blog. :-)

Voting for the 2014 Summer FDC...

Starts On Sept 1st, 2014.

Voting Ends on Sept 20th.

Please vote for this entry by commenting below or 
emailing us at nora.demington@gmail.com.

Vote for Entry #30, by writing -- "I vote for Entry #30."

We recommend voting for one newbie entry, 
one intermediate, and one pro, at least.

______________

For this FDC, my character is Robin Rider.  She can't wait to go to school!  She especially likes math, but her favorite part of the school day is recess when she can run around, play on the monkey bars, or do cartwheels.  When she is not in school she might be relaxing on her bed cuddling with her stuffed animals.  Robin doesn't like to think a lot about putting an outfit together for school, so a one piece outfit, i.e., a play suit, was perfect for her.  Also, she can flip upside down in her new outfit with ease, unlike a regular shirt and pants.

Outfit Design


This is my first sketch of the outfit I wanted to make for Robin.  I wanted to make a play suit  with fun accents, like a pocket with a button on it and a belt.  I wanted pink to be the contrasting color with the blue and white.  So I wanted a pink button to go on the pocket.  For the shoes, I chose to make slip-on shoes in the contrasting color pink.


This is my second drawing of what I wanted the outfit to look like.  To complete her school outfit I planned to make a backpack.  

Outfit in Process of Being Created


This is the fabric I chose for the play suit.  It is a plaid cotton fabric.  The stripes are blue and tan.


This is the fabric that I chose for the collar, belt, and the leg bands.  It is another cotton fabric that I thought matched the play suit wonderfully.  


Here are all the fabric pieces that I cut out.  I used a Simplicity pattern for the play suit.


Here is a picture of the play suit being made.


Here is another picture, this time I was sewing the facing.


This is a picture of the backpack in the process of being made.  I used a dried fruit package and covered it with Duck tape.  I made pockets out of Duck tape, as well.  I planned to make the straps out of the blue fabric I used to make the collar, belt, etc.  I used these instructions on dolldiaries.com as an idea for my backpack: http://dolldiaries.com/doll-craft-make-a-backpack/


I made the shoes out of the same Duck tape as the backpack.  I made the soles of the shoes out of cardboard.  I used a video I found on dolldiaries.com for making the shoes: http://dolldiaries.com/doll-play-day-86-make-duct-tape-toms-for-dolls/

Outfit Complete & Modeled


 Here is the first picture of my finished project!  I actually ended up making a headband out of the same Duck tape as the shoes and backpack.  I used more instructions on dolldiaries.com, but modified them: http://dolldiaries.com/make-an-easy-duck-tape-headband-with-add-ons-for-dolls/



I think that the smiley face button on the pocket brings the outfit together.



Robin is an Our Generation or Battat doll.  She is so happy with her new school outfit! and can't wait to run and play!


______________

Please don't vote until all of the entries are available and 
we have announced the voting start on The Doll Wardrobe Blog. :-)

Voting for the 2014 Summer FDC...

Starts On Sept 1st, 2014.

Voting Ends on Sept 20th.

Please vote for this entry by commenting below or 
emailing us at nora.demington@gmail.com.

Vote for Entry #30, by writing -- "I vote for Entry #30."

We recommend voting for one newbie entry, 
one intermediate, and one pro, at least.


Thank you!

19 comments:

  1. I vote for Entry #30.
    FFK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for Entry #30.
    Duck Tape is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for Entry #30

    A very cute outfit-nice sewing
    RHC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote for entry #30!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote for Entry #30. I love that Robin likes her stuffed animals! :)

    CutePolarBear

    ReplyDelete
  6. homeschooledsgquartetfanSeptember 2, 2014 at 8:33 PM

    I vote for #30!

    ~homeschooledsgquartetfan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I vote for Entry #30
    This is a very creative and cute outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I vote for Entry #30.

    Very functional for learning and play. mo6k

    ReplyDelete
  9. I vote for entry #30
    The outfit is aadorable
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I vote for Entry #30
    the outfit is adorable

    ReplyDelete
  11. I vote for entry #30:)I LOVE the outfit, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I vote for # 30. I love the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I vote for entry #30! You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete