Monday, September 1, 2014

Entry #20: Professional

Entrant Category: Professional

Please don't vote until all of the entries are available and 
we have announced the voting start on The Doll Wardrobe Blog. :-)

Voting for the 2014 Summer FDC...

Starts On Sept 1st, 2014.

Voting Ends on Sept 20th.

Please vote for this entry by commenting below or 
emailing us at nora.demington@gmail.com.

Vote for Entry #20, by writing -- "I vote for Entry #20."

We recommend voting for one newbie entry, 
one intermediate, and one pro, at least.

______________

GILBERT LEARNS A LESSON
"That's Gilbert Blythe sitting right across from you, Anne.  Just look at him and see if you don't think he's handsome."*



According to the Book, "Anne of Green Gables", from which the above quote was taken, we first meet Gilbert Blythe in the class room.  It is a terribly eventful day.   "CARROTS" 




Here are my inspiration pictures.








I chose to make the outfit that Gilbert is wearing at school on that first day as depicted in the Sullivan Movie.  In a later scene, he is seen outside apologizing to Anne.  He is wearing knickers, long sleeved shirt with the sleeves rolled up, (no collar) and a knitted sweater vest.  I have also added his suspenders and Newsboy cap.


Here are my materials:  





There was this lone skein of sock wool in the perfect color that I found in a yarn shop in McCall, Id. (2nd picture down shows the "real" color.)

l decided I had better conquer the sweater vest first.  This was my second try at a pattern I found on line, but there were several things about the pattern that I wanted to drastically change, so I wasn't sure how it would go.




I used the finished sweater vest to find some thrifted garments for material for the rest of the outfit.

I used Liberty Jane Clothing's Button-Up Shirt pattern for the shirt, but left the collar off.  I modified Lee and Pearl's #1004 18-inch Doll "Boy Style" Pants and Cargo Shorts pattern for the knickers by eliminating the front placket, putting the plackets on the sides, and cuffing the legs shorter.  Here is a picture of my inspiration




In-the- process pictures



Tiny plackets in the sleeves.  




And that "all important" press as you go, to avoid the "happy hands at home" look.  Ha!



It took three tries to come up with a cap that I was happy with. 



But the most fun and difficult challenge were the suspenders…..     

(Real leather from a thrifted skirt.)



a little crazy, since they are "hiding" under the sweater vest.  However, one does have to hold up one's trousers.




And here are a few pictures of the finished product. 





Gilbert is a customized Rebecca.  

"He was a tall boy, with curly brown hair, roguish hazel eyes and a mouth twisted into a teasing smile." * Rebecca got a haircut and a perm for the transformation into Gilbert Blythe.







*Footnote:  Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery


The last 5 photos were taken at Roseberry, Idaho, School House and General Store (a restored Finnish village and event area)
Boots and stockings were purchased.


______________

Please don't vote until all of the entries are available and 
we have announced the voting start on The Doll Wardrobe Blog. :-)

Voting for the 2014 Summer FDC...

Starts On Sept 1st, 2014.

Voting Ends on Sept 20th.

Please vote for this entry by commenting below or 
emailing us at nora.demington@gmail.com.

Vote for Entry #20, by writing -- "I vote for Entry #20."

We recommend voting for one newbie entry, 
one intermediate, and one pro, at least.


Thank you!

27 comments:

  1. I vote for Entry #20.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for entry #20!
    All the sewing looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for entry #20. I loved the book Anne of Green Gables!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote for this entry. Wonderful job and delightful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote for entry #20 :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vote for entry #20: Gilbert Learns A Lesson

    ReplyDelete
  7. I vote for entry #20. I think my Samantha is in love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I vote for entry #20!
    Anne of Green Gables is one of my most favorite books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so professional.I love all the details that is why #20 has my resounding vote!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I vote for entry #20.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I vote for 20. (My Samantha is in love! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I vote for entry #20

    ReplyDelete
  13. I vote for entry #20

    Nice to see a boy model.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I vote for entry #20! Unique, love it!

    ReplyDelete