Monday, September 1, 2014

Entry #4: Intermediate

Entrant Category: Intermediate

Please don't vote until all of the entries are available and 
we have announced the voting start on The Doll Wardrobe Blog. :-)

Voting for the 2014 Summer FDC...

Starts On Sept 1st, 2014.

Voting Ends on Sept 20th.

Please vote for this entry by commenting below or 
emailing us at nora.demington@gmail.com.

Vote for Entry #4, by writing -- "I vote for Entry #4."

We recommend voting for one newbie entry, 
one intermediate, and one pro, at least.

____________

1) Outfit design

When I first started thinking of what to make for the summer FDC, I wanted to make a character from one of my favorite books.  So I looked over all my bookshelves for inspiration.  I considered several different ideas, but nothing that really clicked with me.  Then I started reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy and got the idea to do one of Eowyn's outfits.  I actually started making the prototype, but it turned out to be a complete disaster.  
So I scrapped that and returned to the drawing board.

That's when I remembered this: 


​My friend actually sent me this picture a few months ago, so I don't know where this outfit comes from.  I realized that it was exactly what the main character in a novel I'm writing would wear.  Besides that, I knew that I could make it.

So, a little more background on the character this is made for: Quimby Pebbleton's father has just died and she must go to live with her older married sister, Karina, and her brother-in-law, who run a lodge in a rural area on the river.  In her new life, Quimby must not only learn at a new school, but she must also learn how to live her new life.


2) Outfit in process of being created

I didn't really make a paper pattern, which I know is rather naughty, but I didn't really think I needed one.  For the over skirt, I cut two rectangles about 17 1/2 inches by 5 1/2 inches.  


These I sewed these two together end to end, resulting in a long rectangle 5 1/2 by 33 inches.  I hemmed the bottom edge but waited to gather the top.

For the underskirt, I took a piece of white silky fabric in a long, long, rectangle that was the length of the fabric I had and the height of the over skirt plus 2 1/2 inches.

When it came to the bodice, I realized that I had only a tiny amount of fabric.  This meant two things: first, I could not mess up, as there was not enough fabric to re-cut, and secondly, the bodice would have to be shaped very specifically.


To be honest, this scared me a bit and made me want to go and start over with a different fabric.  But instead I took a pencil and lightly drew some lines to sketch out a general pattern shape.  It took some creativity to arrange it just right, but after I cut it out, I was very pleased.


I sewed up the bodice and then gathered the skirts to fit the bodice.


Finally, I sewed all three layers together.  The dress was finished.


For the undershirt, I used the free Liberty Jane t-shirt pattern available on pixiefaire.com.  I did length the sleeves slightly.  For the kerchief, I bunched up some fabric and pinned it on, that way I can use the shirt for another outfit in the future.


3) Outfit complete and modeled


I used American Girl doll Emily, because she has red hair, just like the girl in the original picture that I used as inspiration.


Here you can see the print of the dress better.  It is really beautiful in real life.




Overall, I'm extremely pleased with how this project turned out, 
and I just want to thank Nora and Maple so, SO much for this opportunity.  
I had a lot of fun and learned so much!  
Thank you, lovely ladies!

____________

Voting for the 2014 Summer FDC...

Starts On Sept 1st, 2014.

Voting Ends on Sept 20th.

Please vote for this entry by commenting below or 
emailing us at nora.demington@gmail.com.

Vote for Entry #4, by writing -- "I vote for Entry #4."

We recommend voting for one newbie entry, 
one intermediate, and one pro, at least.

Thank you!


6 comments: