Monday, September 1, 2014

Entry #13: Newbie

Entrant Category: Newbie

Please don't vote until all of the entries are available and 
we have announced the voting start on The Doll Wardrobe Blog. :-)

Voting for the 2014 Summer FDC...

Starts On Sept 1st, 2014.

Voting Ends on Sept 20th.

Please vote for this entry by commenting below or 
emailing us at nora.demington@gmail.com.

Vote for Entry #13, by writing -- "I vote for Entry #13."

We recommend voting for one newbie entry, 
one intermediate, and one pro, at least.

______________

Aly's First Day of School

This is my entry for The Doll Wardrobe's 2014 Summer Fashion Design Challenge. A bit about the outfit: For Aly's first day of school, she decided on a pair of broken in shorts, a tank top she made this summer, and her favorite off-shoulder shirt (which will be easy to remove for Home Ec.). She'll carefully put her hair up in a bun, so her hair won't get in the way (especially while she's baking). She'll finish off her bun with a bow that matches her tank top. To prepare for school, she has stuffed her backpack with some paper, pencils, and a clipboard, plus some things for Home Ec class (her favorite!): a couple recipes that her Home Ec teacher requested from Aly's mom, a cookie sheet, two handmade hotpads, an apron, and a container with three frosting-topped cookies, one for her and two to share.


Step 1 ~Outfit Design

When thinking about what I could make to fit the Learning/School theme, I decided that, since it is still pretty warm here, I'd go with a summery outfit. Most summery outfits need shorts. So I started my design there. While searching for fabric, I actually thought up three different shirts/shirt sets, but ended up deciding on something comfortable looking rather than new looking. After all, the first day of school is the hardest day (was for me anyway) to get through, so why not be in your favorite things while figuring out your new terrain? Anyway, I decided on a tank top of some sort and a off-shoulder tee. I also added a upcycled backpack and some school/baking accessories which I will describe later.

The outfit design

My outfit will be a tank top, a baggy t-shirt (like a couple-sizes too big hand-me-down), a pair of shorts, and some school & baking accessories (the girl is holding a cookie sheet in her left hand). 


My fabric choices

These are the fabrics I've decided on using. First, a blue fabric with white designs (teapots, etc..) for the apron. Next, some quilted fabric for hotpads and some trim to go with it. Third, blue (with blue flowers) fabric for the baggy t-shirt, and then worn black denim for the shorts.


Oops, forgot one..

Ribbed knit floral fabric for the tank top (with the pattern I'll use).


Step 2 ~ In Progress...

I kinda went backwards with this project. Instead of starting with the outfit and then doing the accessories, I did some accessories, then the outfit, then more accessories. Both shirts are pull-over, instead of having a closure up the back. I normally don't like pullovers (musses the doll's hair), but in this case, I was short on time (the fussy machine and life....) and the fabric is super stretchy (a good thing about upcycling, both shirts were made out of clothes that I used to consider favorites) so it worked out very well. Both shirts are really easy to get on and off. The backpack I made using a child's purse, four larger jumprings, and a single spring ring. I used my jewelry making pliers to work a jumpring through one of the holes (from the stitching) in the strap, and once it was through, I connected it to the zipper pull. I then added three more jumprings for a decorative attempt, and the spring ring so things can be hooked on (like a bracelet during baking/cooking classes).

The Apron

The apron -still needs one more snap, as soon as I can find them... I ended up using some of the trim from the hotpads on the apron. :) I also sewed on a piece from a jewelry clasp so I could clip on a towel. That way she won't be as likely to stain her apron.


School and Baking Supplies

Then I gathered the school/baking supplies. The backpack was a child's purse (free from a garage sale), some lined paper cut small, a Tinkerbell pencil that's uncomfortably small for me to use anymore (plus a yellow eraser), a cookie sheet (aluminum foil wrapped cardboard), three cookies (wooden buttons with colored cardboard frosting), two hotpads, and a small container (this originally held either sequins or beads).


the clipboard

a better picture of the clipboard (I used gel pens to decorate it)


Cut Off Shorts

Shorts in progress (using Liberty Jane Clothing's Cut off Shorts pattern). I used denim for all of the different pieces except the inner pocket lining. I used some darker gingham for that. I'll probably never see it, but I still thought it be a cool touch. Also, I used a 'fancy' stitch for the back pockets, just to add a visible something extra.


Tank Top

The tank top (using All Dolled Up's Multiplicity pattern). I must have cut it wrong or something because it came out HUGE, so I had to cut it down a bit. I wanted it to be semi-form fitting.


Off Shoulder Shirt

And the baggy t-shirt (using Liberty Jane Clothing's Off Shoulder Tee pattern). For anyone wondering about the difficulty level, it was super easy. The hardest part was using a very old, very fussy machine that likes to knot up the thread and jam up the sewing process... grr...


Step 3 - All Done!

And the outfit is finally complete, about a week after I started, and much too close to the deadline. Oh well, at least I finished in time. My sewing machine is really old, and kept throwing hissy fits... so that didn't help any either... I tried to make a pair of shoes.... but.. well.. there is a reason I didn't include them in my entry... I need some different glue before I try those again.. Anyway, this is the first time I used any of the patterns, and the first time I've ever made pants for my dolls. I know they're not perfect, but I like them anyhow, and I hope you do too. :)


Aly's First Day of School

All Done! Aly's new favorite school (or any other day) outfit complete with backpack.


Note: the sandals are American Girl, but when I got them, they were basically a DIY kit. I had to completely re-construct them from the sole up.


Earring

Aly's earrings were each made with a hoop finding, some thread, two ice-blue cats eye beads, two clear white seed beads, some tiny jumprings, and a small stretch of chain.


Hairbow

Aly's hairbow was made out of scraps left over from re-sizing the tank top, with a small scrap from the blue floral fabric tied around the middle of the bow. I sewed those to a bobby pin.


Without the off shoulder tee

Removing the off-shoulder tee is easy, and underneath is a floral tank top. There is a floral applique sewed on to the shorts as well.


the back of the outfit

Both shirts and the shorts are pull-ons.


back of the backpack

The backpack strap is connected to the zipper pull by jumprings. I clipped on Aly's bracelet for the photographs.


school supplies

Aly's school supplies and recipes (which are real recipes, by the way. I just wrote really small on small pieces of paper.)


Here's her hotpads and apron.



Want a cookie? :)



______________

Please don't vote until all of the entries are available and 
we have announced the voting start on The Doll Wardrobe Blog. :-)

Voting for the 2014 Summer FDC...

Starts On Sept 1st, 2014.

Voting Ends on Sept 20th.

Please vote for this entry by commenting below or 
emailing us at nora.demington@gmail.com.

Vote for Entry #13, by writing -- "I vote for Entry #13."

We recommend voting for one newbie entry, 
one intermediate, and one pro, at least.


Thank you!

4 comments: