Monday, September 1, 2014

Entry #5: Newbie

Entrant Category: Newbie

Please don't vote until all of the entries are available and 
we have announced the voting start on The Doll Wardrobe Blog. :-)

Voting for the 2014 Summer FDC...

Starts On Sept 1st, 2014.

Voting Ends on Sept 20th.

Please vote for this entry by commenting below or 
emailing us at nora.demington@gmail.com.

Vote for Entry #5, by writing -- "I vote for Entry #5."

We recommend voting for one newbie entry, 
one intermediate, and one pro, at least.

____________


1. My entry is based on the traditional "Back To School Nerd." 

I am sewing a cotton uniform shirt, a plaid uniform skirt, and a uniform jacket. 

I am also making a pair of nerd glasses. 

So the first thing I sewed was the skirt. I cute a very long piece out of the fabric I wanted to use, and pleated it.  I sewed the pleats together, then hemmed everything with your usual neat strait stitch. 

I wanted to make it a wrap around skirt just to add some detail, so once everything was hemmed, I made a button hole and sewed on a button for real-ism. 
I didn't use ONE snap for this outfit!!!:) 
*pats self on back*

1. My outfit inspiration all came from Justice's selection of uniforms. I liked how fun they were, and this picture especially got me going. The difference is that I wanted more subtle colors. 



2. This is were I got the idea for the jacket, and the contrasting piping. 


3. I liked the more subtle colors in this picture because it made it easier to take everything in!


4.  And this is where my skirt idea came from. Minus the rhinestones...don't get me wrong, I love glitter and glam, but like I said I wanted more subtlety for mine.  DID I MENTION I WANTED IT TO BE SUBTLE??? Haha, I didn't realize I had said it that many times! 


2.  For the shirt, I used a Simplicity pattern, but I don't know which one because the package is long lost and torn...but it was just your simple shirt with a collar. This pattern was so obvious of what you had to do that I didn't even use the instructions:) 

Once I had sewn the sides together and hemmed everything, I added the collar. Sorry I didn't take very many pictures...I was kinda in a hurry to get this done in timeEmoji I also did add buttons and button holes on the shirt.


3. For the jacket I used the same pattern as the shirt, except I lengthened the sleeves to how I wanted them.  I used a peter pan collar instead of the pointy one I used for the shirt. I also attached contrasting piping for a fun fashion statement.





4. Now for the modeling! I used a few fun props, and the nerd glasses I made. Her shoes are from Micheals in the Springfield doll section, and the socks I have no idea where they are from:) 
So this is the full outfit!


5.  Here is a close up of the shirt without the jacket. 


This is a close up of the shirt with the suspenders. 
Not all of the pictures will include the suspenders as it is a lot to look at:)

6. The back of the skirt. That is not a loose thread, it is just that this fabric really loves to fray...



7. The front of the skirt. 


8.  The full outfit without the jacket. 


This is a full view the outfit with the suspenders. 



9.   I love this picture!



10.  The props.

11. 


12.  A close up of the buttons...because who wouldn't want to see a close up of a button? Emoji


    Thank you for doing this contest Nora! 
SO much fun (and stress to get it done in time).



____________

Voting for the 2014 Summer FDC...

Starts On Sept 1st, 2014.

Voting Ends on Sept 20th.

Please vote for this entry by commenting below or 
emailing us at nora.demington@gmail.com.

Vote for Entry #5, by writing -- "I vote for Entry #5."

We recommend voting for one newbie entry, 
one intermediate, and one pro, at least.

Thank you!


15 comments:

  1. I love her style! I vote for #5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, Ahhhh, I like this one best! I vote for number 5!

    Sorry that was my dad voting for my outfitXD
    ~Emma:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first brother voting for my outfit:

    I vote for outfit number five because its obviously the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my second brother:

    I vote for outfit 5.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My third brother...

    i vote for outfit #5

    ReplyDelete
  6. And my fourth brother. I have a lot of brothers.

    I vote for outfit #5

    ReplyDelete
  7. And this is me voting for my outfit. I vote for outfit #5!
    ~Emma:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  8. # 5 is super cute! That's my pick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I vote for #5! good luck Emma! :)

    ReplyDelete