Monday, September 1, 2014

Entry #22: Professional

Entrant Category: Professional

Please don't vote until all of the entries are available and 
we have announced the voting start on The Doll Wardrobe Blog. :-)

Voting for the 2014 Summer FDC...

Starts On Sept 1st, 2014.

Voting Ends on Sept 20th.

Please vote for this entry by commenting below or 
emailing us at nora.demington@gmail.com.

Vote for Entry #22, by writing -- "I vote for Entry #22."

We recommend voting for one newbie entry, 
one intermediate, and one pro, at least.

______________

Baile!

This is Isobela Maria, the first 18 inch doll that I bought. She is a Springfield doll whose lips I repainted and ears that I pierced. The reason she has an “o” rather than an “a” in the middle of her first name is that I gave her a Scottish great-grandmother named Isobel who met her American husband Luis in London during World War II.

Isobela Maria’s second name comes from her father’s mother, Maria, who worked as a costumer in Hollywood. It is Abuela Maria who takes Isobela Maria to a Ballet Folklorico performance. There, Isobela Maria is entranced by the swirling skirts and colorful ribbons of the Jalisco dance costumes. How she longs to feel the floating, swirling swish of such a skirt herself, for there is nothing better than a skirt that twirls!

So, Abuela Maria promises to make her the dress if she promises to work hard at learning the dances in class. And Isobela Maria is determined to learn to dance well enough to be in the September parade for Fiestas Patrias.

Outfit Design
Besides looking at many pictures and videos of Jalisco dancing, I also found a blog with instructions on how to make the separate puff sleeved bodice and double circle skirt for people.

Using this and the many pictures as a guide I adapted a few patterns for the bodice and came up with the gore pattern for the skirt. I also needed to make leggings for Isobela Maria to wear under the skirt, for modesty. Then, for when she was learning the dance in class, I needed to make at least one blouse/dress that she could wear with the double circle skirt, so as to not get the real bodice sweaty during all the practices. Also, I needed to make a headdress from ribbons. For the Jalisco dress, I found a pretty purple sheet at Goodwill that had the right drape to the fabric. I got a white T-shirt from the dollar store to upcycle into the leggings and some cotton fabrics for the blouse.

Outfit Construction
First I sewed together the basic foundation of the bodice and the double circle skirt, making sure they fit before moving on to the process of sewing the six different colors of ¼ inch ribbon to the skirt ruffle which was about 5 yards long.

Then I sewed the ruffle to the skirt. Then the 1/8 inch ribbon went onto the ruffle for the yoke and bottom of the bodice. I sewed on the lower part of the sleeves and then decorated and attached the yoke to the bodice.

The bodice was finished with a stand up collar and the ruffle around the bottom. Then it was on to the blouse, leggings, and headdress.

With everything complete, it was time for Isobela Maria to head to class.

Outfit Modeling
Isobela Maria is wearing her white leggings with her long, cotton blouse and American Girl sandals as she waits for her mother to come out and take her to dance class.

When she gets to the class studio, she puts her double-circle skirt on over her blouse and changes into her dance shoes, which are Mary Janes from American Girl.


Then she is ready to learn to dance!
It takes many classes, but finally her teacher says the class can bring their bodices and headdresses for a dress rehearsal. Isobela Maria feels like a queen with the lovely puff sleeves of the bodice, her hair up, beautiful ribbons on each side, and her dangling gold earrings

Then, on a cool morning, she goes to practice outside.

She thinks through the moves she needs to make.

She gets in the starting position


Ready, set, go!


Isobela Maria knows she is ready to be in the parade. She can hardly wait!

______________

Please don't vote until all of the entries are available and 
we have announced the voting start on The Doll Wardrobe Blog. :-)

Voting for the 2014 Summer FDC...

Starts On Sept 1st, 2014.

Voting Ends on Sept 20th.

Please vote for this entry by commenting below or 
emailing us at nora.demington@gmail.com.

Vote for Entry #22, by writing -- "I vote for Entry #22."

We recommend voting for one newbie entry, 
one intermediate, and one pro, at least.


Thank you!

35 comments:

  1. Oh, this is just beautiful! I just love dresses like this! Perfect for dancing and spinning. I will totally vote for entry #22!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dress is impressive! I vote for entry #22!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! So amazing! I vote for entry #22! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote for entry #22. Can I get this for Marisol? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous! "I vote for Entry #22."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vote for #22. Story, color, detail, and full, full skirt. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous skirt and beautiful blouse! I vote for #22...I loved the little story that went with the pictures, the whole thing--pictures and story would make a nice children's book. Great seamstress, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I vote for entry #22. Love the presentation and purple color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I vote for #22...outstanding and beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I vote for entry #22. Love the headdress and dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I vote for #22, seamstress did an excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another vote for 22! I've been looking for a good tutorial to make a folklorico dress for my newest doll, so this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I vote for #22. She's a winner in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I vote for #22....outstanding and beautiful, a gorgeous outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Outstanding! I vote for #22.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I vote for #22, she's a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think number 22 is the best. I vote for number 22.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I vote for #22! You did an incredible job making the outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I vote for #22! This is beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohmygosh! This is so cool! I vote for #22!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I vote for entry #22

    ReplyDelete
  22. She's so beautiful in her wonderful dress. I vote for #22.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I vote for #22, a beautiful costume and just in time for the latino holiday where we see this dance performed.

    ReplyDelete